Signs and slogans
Signs and slogans with short and effective messages are best (short enough to read within a few seconds). Make it simple without fancy words or academic jargon. Make signs with short, powerful slogans. Do not write too many things on them, for you will lose the effect. See list of slogans included in this list. Be firm, loud, proud, but not arrogant or disruptive. Don't let your protest be run by an emotional mob. Make sure that it is organized and under control at all time so that your goals are achieved.
Human Rights for ALL
Palestinians Want Freedom and Equality
Israel Kills Innocent Palestinian Muslims and Christians
Israel killed my xxx (fill in blank- uncle, aunt, cousin?). The people who hold these signs who have had loved ones killed by Israelis should talk to organizers about media interviews first. Because this is the kind of sign that will attract media and you will definitely need preparation before you speak.
Israel destroyed my parents home (or my father's shop or my parents business
or other property or olive groves)
Israel destroyed Palestinian Schools
Israel Kills Palestinian Children
Israel killed over 500 Palestinian children
Israel killed over 1,800 Palestinians in the past 18 months
Israel injured 35,000 Palestinians
No Justice, No Peace
Judaism Yes, Zionism No
Refugees have a right to return home
Along with timing your rallies for optimal coverage, get in touch with the media to bring about coverage. Determine the key media contacts in your area and send press releases, (preferably by fax, followed by a telephone call). For contact addresses check the major media-sites listed below. Ask supporters to call including during the demonstration to ask why the media is not there.
With the number of victims mounting, hold memorials for them. This is important for our own sense of identification and also to pray for the families and the victims. Memorials can also draw attention and are powerful reminders to the community of what is happening and the need to stop atrocities. Signs with words to memorialize the victims, pictures, flowers, crescents and crosses, and candles have all been utilized.
Slogans and chants are very effective but make sure you have people who know the chants with megaphones. Here are some that individuals have used or can use:
* Hey, hey, ho, ho, the occupation must go
* Sharon MURDERER; Barak MURDERER
* Stop Israeli Massacres of Palestinians
* Stop Israeli murders of children
* Stop ethnic cleansing
* Sharon yalla yalla, get out of Ramallah
* Palestinians have the right to life
* NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE
* Sharon, war criminal; Barak, war criminal
* Protect Palestinian civilians NOW!
* Israel must obey international law!
* Stop killing in Palestine
* Stop Israeli State Terrorism
* Stop Killing Children
* What do you want - Stop the killing - When do you wan it - Now
* What do you want - Justice- When do you wan it - Now (and similar ones)
* No more war, No more war
* Clinton, Clinton you must act, Israel apartheid is a fact
* Hay Hay, Ho Ho, Apartheid has got to go
* No Aid to Apartheid Israel
* No Return, No peace
* Hay Hay, Ho Ho , Back to Haifa we will go